Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)
All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs.
At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum New Brancepeth Primary School remain committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional out of class support
- Many Enrichment and Enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- Advice sought and acted upon from a range of professionals
- An innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curricular activities, including homework club, one to one support and booster sessions
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate.
Other key aims of curriculum provision
The school aims to provide:
- Opportunities to be involved in decision making, via the School Council
- A range of after school clubs, complimenting the curriculum, that are free of charge. Every effort is made to include all children.
- A range of sporting opportunities during the school year, including inter school competition. Every effort is made to ensure all children can access these opportunities.
- The opportunity for each child to experience a residential stay in this country at least once during their time in Primary School. Additional support will be provided, if necessary, to ensure participation of all children.
- The opportunity for each child to experience a residential stay abroad at least once during their time in Primary School.Additional support will be provided, if necessary, to ensure participation of all children.
- The opportunity for each child to perform on stage at least once each year. Every effort is made to include all children.
- The opportunity for each child to go on a school trip at least twice each year. Additional support will be provided, if necessary, to ensure participation of all children.